FROM October 25 to December 1, 2019, the Glen Innes region will host a celebration of all things literary during the High Country Writers Festival.
Headlined by bestselling Australian author Mary Moody, with featured events at The Makers Shed, 123 Grey Street Glen Innes; Waterloo Station (situated between Glen Innes and Inverell); The Stone Cottage at The Australian Standing Stones, and Glen Innes Library, this event showcases storytelling in many forms, with author talks and workshops for book lovers and writers.
FESTIVAL PROGRAM: Choose a free author talk, or a low-cost workshop. Explore our literary offering of local and visiting writers… we’re even hosting a dog-friendly event!
- OCT 25-27: ESCAPE TO WRITE – High Country Writers Retreat Re-energise your writing project at Waterloo Station. Bookings now open!
- NOV 9: WORKSHOP – Building Your Creative Corporation of One with Virginia Eddy a 3-hour business strategy session for creatives 1-4pm at The Makers Shed. Book now!
- NOV 16: WORKSHOP – Resuscitate Your Manuscript with Michael Burge a 3-hour writing session 1-4pm at The Makers Shed. Book now!
- NOV 23: WORKSHOP – Building Your Creative Corporation of One with Virginia Eddy – 3-hour business strategy session for creatives 1-4pm at The Makers Shed. Book now!
- NOV 26: FREE AUTHOR TALK – Storytime with Emma Mactaggart a 1-hour reading session at The Glen Innes Severn Public & TAFE Library, 10.30-11.30am. Emma will delight with her collection of award-winning books, including ‘Imagine’ (taking you on a wild romp for your imagination), ‘Lily Fabourama Glamourama’ (exploring the tale of a little girl who has lost her shoe), and ‘Mitten the Kitten’ (a book she mentored a young team of 12-year-olds to write and illustrate). More information: call the library on 6730 2600. No booking required.
- NOV 26: WORKSHOP – Have You Lost The Plot? Writing workshop with Emma Mactaggart a FREE 2-hour workshop for adults at The Glen Innes Severn Public & TAFE Library, 12-2pm. If you’ve lost your way with your writing project, Emma will help you find it! Explore the seven known plots and their functionality and maybe change your story’s point of view. Bookings: Please call the library on 6730 2600.
- NOV 30: FREE AUTHOR TALK – Planthunting During a Drought with Lucy Munro Buy yourself brunch at The Stone Cottage while ‘plant-writer’ Lucy explores the good news on gardening under dry conditions, in conversation with a panel of local gardeners. Reserve your place now!
- NOV 30: WORKSHOP – Writing from the Heart with Mary Moody a 6-hour memoir-writing session 10am-4pm at The Makers Shed. Book now!
- NOV 30: FREE AUTHOR TALK – Doggy Tails at The Makers Shed Join creative duo Jane Canfield and Sophie Seeger in the yard at The Makers Shed for a celebration of dogs! Jane and Sophie will be in conversation with Michael Burge about how they collaborated on the writing, illustration and publication of ‘Arnie the Artist’s Muse: A true doggie tail‘, a beloved book about a very special rescue dog. A percentage of all book sales will be donated to the Glen Innes branch of the RSPCA, which will be holding a fundraising cake stall and presenting dogs for adoption. Gourmet coffee and lunch by Our Place Wine & Espresso Bar’s mobile van. Bring your dog (on a lead)… you both might win our special ‘Best In Show’ prize on the day! 12-2pm at The Makers Shed, 123 Grey Street, Glen Innes (FREE entry via the Lang Street gate).
- NOV 30: FREE FESTIVAL SHINDIG Join us from 4pm for the announcement of the High Country Indie Book Award winner by Mary Moody, presented by Mayor Carol Sparks. Festival Bar by Our Place Wine & Espresso Bar. From 4-6pm at The Makers Shed!
- DEC 1: WORKSHOP – Fun and Fabulous Songwriting with Massiel Barros-Torning a 3-hour songwriting session 9am-12pm at The Makers Shed. Book now!
- DEC 1: FREE AUTHOR TALK – ‘The Accidental Tour Guide’ Mary Moody in conversation with Michael Burge It’s been a decade since the fourth installment in Mary’s bestselling series of memoirs exploring life, love and family in rural Australia and France; now, she’s back with a new adventure. 12.30-1.30pm at The Makers Shed!
- DEC 1: FREE ARTISAN MARKET High Country Handmade Showcase Discover the region’s finest artisans, live music and gourmet eats, 10am-2pm at The Makers Shed!
The Makers Shed festival bookshop is open Wednesdays to Saturdays (and in the final festival week it will be open from Tuesday November 26 to Sunday December 1 ) from 10am-4pm for book bargains and all festival information.
Independent authors, illustrators, booksellers, publishers and publishing service providers are encouraged to attend the festival with their work and/or services for sale; or participate by organising satellite events across the region. Please head to our contact page, and get in touch!