IMPROVE YOUR WRITING practice, develop stronger plots for your work, or get up-to-speed with social media under skilled supervision.
Michael Burge offers two workshop options at The Makers Shed for 3 to 6 people.
If you’d like one-on-one training, or you’d like Michael to come to your venue with a writing workshop; or for more advanced media, marketing and website training, please get in touch via the contact page.
WORKSHOP 1: Half-day Resuscitate Your Manuscript
3rd Saturday of every month at The Makers Shed, 1-4pm. $25 per person. Book on 0400 977 816
All writers reach a point when negative thoughts come pouring in, telling us we must have been crazy embarking on writing something nobody wants to read. Often we feel the opposite, determined that our work is perfectly formed and needs no adjustment. When either of these extremes happens to you, it’s time to diagnose your manuscript.
This workshop is for writers with a complete or partial manuscript they’re trying to get into shape in order to send it to publishers/agents, or to independently publish.
It will take participants through the basics of good storytelling in order to diagnose their own work and where it needs improvement and adjustment:-
- Protagonists: does the manuscript have a hero and a villain?
- Conflict: is there a battle at the core of this story?
- Viewpoints: are the voices of this book consistent?
- Plot: is there an entertaining narrative arc to this story?
- Marketing: can you confidently say what your book is about?
WORKSHOP 2: Half-day Social Media Savvy
Available Wednesdays to Saturdays, 10am-1pm or 1pm-4pm. Book via form below
Get up-to-speed on Facebook page and Instagram basics for small businesses, and more!
- How to set up and manage a Facebook page, and how it differs from a personal Facebook account
- The key differences between Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- How to function as the page’s ‘editor’ to pull in regular content and keep followers engaged
- How to get your head around copyright and defamation risks
- How to manage comments, particularly negative feedback and/or complaints
- How to create a workable set of page rules and why it’s essential
- How to allocate Facebook page roles as your social media expands
To make a booking for a Social Media Savvy workshop please use the email form below. We will respond to your application ASAP. To book for the monthly Resuscitate Your Manuscript workshop, please call Michael on 0400 977 816.
- WHEN: Social Media Savvy workshops can be booked from Wednesdays to Saturdays. Please nominate two preferred dates and we will contact you to let you know which is available
- TIME: Workshops run from 10am to 1pm or 1pm to 4pm
- NUMBERS: Workshops run with a STRICT minimum of 3 people and a maximum of 6
- LOCATION: Workshops take place at The Makers Shed, 123 Grey Street, Glen Innes, in the NSW New England region
- COST: Workshops are $25 per person. Your booking will be confirmed by email when you’ve paid in full via online bank transfer. EFTPOS payments can also be made at The Makers Shed prior to your workshop
- CANCELLATIONS: We understand that things sometimes need to change, but workshop cancellations are non-refundable. Instead, participants who have booked and paid may alter the date of their booking by mutual agreement (see our terms and conditions)
Before booking, please read our simple terms and conditions.
BOOK A SOCIAL MEDIA SAVVY WORKSHOP