CREATE A UNIQUE piece of jewellery while learning the basics of design, piercing, forging, fold-forming and bezel-setting stones under skilled supervision.
Richard Moon offers four studio-workshop options at The Makers Shed, all for a maximum of 6 people. Bring your friends and realise your creative ideas!
WORKSHOP 1: Full-day sterling-silver experience
Get across the entire silversmithing process with Richard as your guide, from designing your piece through to cutting, soldering, heating, cold-connecting, fold-forming, bezel-setting and polishing. The cost includes enough sterling silver for one ring, pendant, brooch or pair of earrings; and a limited selection of raw materials and stones: vintage linoleum, copper, leather, moonstones, freshwater pearls, etc. Design and make something special!
WORKSHOP 2: Half-day copper fold-forming experience
Start your metalworking journey using copper and learning how to fold-form this wonderful material into a pendant, a pair of earrings or a brooch. If you feel game, add a stone (bring your own if you like) and some sterling-silver components to your design! The cost includes enough copper for one pendant, brooch or pair of earrings; sterling-silver hooks for your earrings; a sterling-silver pin and hook for your brooch; sterling-silver loops and a fine leather necklet for your pendant; and a freshwater pearl or a moonstone for your design.
WORKSHOP 3: Half-day cabochon bezel-setting class
This is the workshop for those with a cabochon stone (flat-backed, not faceted) which they’d like to learn how to set into a simple sterling-silver pendant. Richard will assist you to design your piece then guide you through the cutting and soldering processes before he shows you how to set your stone. The cost includes enough sterling and fine silver for one pendant. (NOTE: working with your stone can pose a risk to it, particularly if it’s set into an existing piece of jewellery. Check our terms and conditions for full details).
WORKSHOP 4: Half-day silver ring-making class
Create yourself a simple sterling-silver ring in just three hours! Richard will assist you in designing your piece and getting the size accurate, before demonstrating hammering, forging, cutting, soldering and texturing techniques. Try silver piercing, adding silver granules, and/or a molten texture using heat. The cost includes enough sterling silver for one ring. (NOTE: If making for someone else, you’ll need to know their ring size accurately to the millimetre before attending).
To make a booking please use the email form below. We will respond to your application ASAP.
- WHEN: Workshops can be booked Wednesdays to Saturdays, with some extras in collaboration with local festivals. If none of the dates on the booking forms suits you, please nominate two alternative dates (Wednesdays to Saturdays only) and we’ll let you know which is available.
- TIME: Full-day workshops start at 10am SHARP and run until around 4pm. Half-day workshops run from 10am-1pm or 1pm-4pm.
- NUMBERS: Workshops run with a STRICT maximum of 6 participants.
- DESIGN: Got a precious stone or memento you’d like set into your piece? Bring it along, and your design ideas!
- LOCATION: Workshops take place at The Makers Shed, 123 Grey Street, Glen Innes, in the NSW New England region.
- COST: Full-day silversmithing experience workshops are $280 and include enough sterling-silver to make your piece. Half-day workshops are $150 and include enough copper or sterling-silver to make your piece. Your booking will be confirmed by email when you’ve paid in full via online bank transfer. EFTPOS payments can also be made at the studio prior to your workshop.
- CANCELLATIONS: We understand that things sometimes need to change, but workshop cancellations are non-refundable. Instead, participants who have booked and paid may alter the date of their booking by mutual agreement (see our terms and conditions).
- WEAR: Robust workshop-style clothing that covers your arms and legs, and closed shoes (no stilettos or tutus). Bring your own apron if you’d like to protect your clothing. You’ll be provided with protective eyewear, ear muffs and face masks when required as part of the process.
- LUNCH: A break will be scheduled at an appropriate time during the middle of the day. Glen Innes has plenty of great spots for you to grab your lunch, or bring a picnic and sit in our grassy, sunny yards.
- GIFT VOUCHERS: If you’re redeeming a voucher, please use the form at the bottom of this page. If you’d like to purchase one, please call Richard Moon on 0450 039 320.
Before booking, please read our simple terms and conditions.
BOOK AN UPCOMING WORKSHOP OR REQUEST A DATE OF YOUR OWN
I HAVE A GIFT VOUCHER, PLEASE BOOK ME IN